On May 26, 1860, the Hurricane Baptist Church was
founded near the Old Hurricane Bridge which is at the junction of
Route 34 and Route 60 located on the north east end of present day
Soldiers of the Civil War burned the log meeting
room in 1863. The congregation scattered, but reassembled in
1871. In April of 1877, a deed was received from C.F.
Huntington for the site of the present First Baptist Church.
Before the end of 1877, a large one-room frame building had been
built and dedicated. The bell, still in use at the back of the
building, came from the steeple of that frame church which faced
present day Second Street.
In 1907, the church was renovated, and because Route
60, (present day Main Street), had been built at the rear of the
church, the entrance and bell tower were changed from the south to
the north end of the building.
In March 1923, the congregation voted to build a new
building, the one now used for offices, a library and some Sunday
School rooms. The brick structure included a full basement, a
second level, a sanctuary baptistery, and classrooms. Cost of
the building was $32,000. The cornerstone was laid on June8,
1924. Some of the men on the building committee were: A.N.
Sumner, J.T. Garrett, L.O. Hodges, and E.J. Qualls.
Descendants of some of these men are church members today.
In 1953, the first addition to the sanctuary was
built. This addition contained five classrooms, a nursery, and
kindergarten rooms at a cost of $45,000.
In 1965, a Capital Fund Campaign was approved to
build our present sanctuary. A Groundbreaking service was held
July 24, 1966. The new sanctuary was dedicated on July 2, 1967
at a cost of $237,841.18. In 1976, another fundraising
campaign was begun to remodel and renovate the older portion of the
church. This provided a new youth and primary department, and
remodeling in the kitchen and Fellowship Hall as well as a new
During 1990-91, under the leadership of Pastor
Michael Derry, the Advisory Council of the church began discussing
areas of need. One of these areas dealt with facilities which
included: (1) repair of the large stained glass window, (2)
fellowship / recreational facilities, (3) parking concerns, (4)
Sunday School classrooms, and (5) storage for the bus and van.
On November 12, 1991, the Forward in Faith and the
Building Committees were approved to deal with facility concerns of
the congregation. A campaign was launched in 1993 to
underwrite the project and the congregation voted to raise the sum
of $500,000 before breaking ground. The first phase of the
project was additional parking, and the property west of the
sanctuary was developed for this purpose. Additional parking
for 145 vehicles was completed in 1997.
The second phase of the building project began
August 10, 1998. A groundbreaking ceremony was held August 23,
1998, and general contractors G. & G. Builders began
construction of the Family Life Center, which includes 24,000 square
feet of floor space.
The upper level contains a completed Family Life
Center for fellowship and recreational activities, kitchen, storage
areas, and an upper level for office, showers, and dressing
areas. The lower level includes a nursery, several pre-school
and Sunday School rooms, restrooms, and mechanical areas. The
lower level also currently provides classrooms for First Baptist
Academy. The date of initial substantial completion was June
A time of celebration, "Homecoming
Jubilee," was held August 22-26, 1999. On Sunday, August
22, there were special morning services and then the congregation
moved to the Family Life Center for a dedication ceremony followed
by lunch. In the afternoon, there was special music and former
pastors Ward Robinson, Joe Hodge, and Milan Johnson were given an
opportunity to speak. Monday through Thursday, young men from
our church who have entered the ministry - Mark Young, Dwane Porter,
Chad Thralls, Curtis Brown, and Dale Burke - conducted
services. The Jubilee was a great time of fellowship and
thanksgiving to God for His goodness to First Baptist Church.
On August 6, 2000, Dr. Charles Hendricks was
installed as Senior Pastor. Under his leadership, the
lower level of the Family Life Center was fully completed.
Following his pastorate, the church called Dr. James Lutz as the senior pastor in 2004.
On May 26, 2010, the
congregation celebrated First Baptist Church's 150th
anniversary and gave thanks to God for allowing FBC to be a
consistent voice for the Gospel of Jesus Christ in the
Hurricane community and around the world.
(Majority copied from the 2000 church
directory. Items regarding the Family Life Center, current pastorate,
and 150th anniversary were updated. Please contact email@example.com
for additional updates or corrections.)